Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Autumn Splendor - Japan Valley and adjacent areas in the Botanical Gardens, Gothenburg

It is mid-November 2014, and the "somber" days continue (see blog entry below). And I enjoy them a lot, having time on my hand to be active outdoors.
But I also recall a very different autumn season a few years ago.

During three days in late October I wanted to test a small compact camera. The one under scrutiny was among the least expensive on the market, despite a brand name of respectable reputation: Nikon Coolpix L20. If this camera held up well, the available funds would be sufficient to order an entire class set for the students in my High School Photography course. As testing ground I picked our Botanical Gardens, particularly the "Japan Valley" and adjacent areas. Two days were sun-drenched, one featured light showers now and then.
I was pleased with the camera, with image quality, exposure and focusing accuracy. We got the class set and worked well with these cameras. A short time afterwards I put my test images into a slideshow, centered around the Japan-Theme.  

Traditionally the connection between the Gothenburg Botanical Gardens and the Orient is strong. Early in the 19hundreds members of Sven Hedin's explorations in the Far East came back with many plants and seeds and gave them to the Gardens. Even today many contacts to Asia are active. The year 2014 was dominated by events, lectures and exhibitions under the theme "Japan".



To go back to the blog after full screen viewing: Press "Esc" button on the keyboard or click on the "Exit full screen" symbol in the film's toolbar.

No comments:

Post a Comment