Saturday, January 3, 2015

Song For A Winter's Night

Year after year - usually in early fall - I get afflicted by an uncomfortable sense of being pushed helplessly towards the dark and dreary winter season. Our part of Sweden feels the climate change, so snow for skiing and ice for skating become rather rare phenomena. And yes, the weeks before Christmas 2014 where nothing but wet and windy. Nobody expects anything like a "White Christmas" anymore. And I doubt that many people really want it. Esthetically yes, but in practice: no. Snow and ice may be of inferior quality around our city, but can still cause chaotic travel situations.
At any rate, just after Christmas freezing temperatures arrived. And shortly afterwards even some snow. Everything suddenly looked endearing and felt cozy. The cameras click into action. So why the aversion I felt in fall? Now I know better. I actually meant another time period that gives me the creeps, the long period from about February to the end of April. The no-season, neither winter nor spring. But enough. We'll see how I feel then...
Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot wrote and performed his "Song For A Winter's Night" way back in the 60's already. It became a favorite of mine. But the cover by Sarah McLachlan - another eminent Canadian - has even more emotional impact on me. She recorded it twice with twelve years in between, the version I used for this little show may be the older one from 1994, but I'm not sure.
As everything suddenly turned beautiful around me I thought of her song again and used some of the pictures taken during the few days between Christmas and New Year.



To go back to the blog after full screen viewing: Press "Esc" button on the keyboard or click on the "Exit full screen" symbol in the film's toolbar.

Here are some more pictures from the month of December 2014 in Gothenburg. Obviously I was wrong thinking we only had grey and wet days...
Änggårdsbergen Nature Reserve






Änggårdsbergen Nature Reserve

Trädgårdsföreningen Park, Central Gothenburg
Central Canal, Gothenburg
Änggårdsbergen Nature Reserve
Container Port, Gothenburg
Harbor Area, Gothenburg
Hängesten Shoreline, Gothenburg
Hängesten Shoreline, Gothenburg
Högsbo Area, Gothenburg
Högsbo, Gothenburg
Högsbo, Gothenburg
Slottsskogen Park, Gothenburg
Slottsskogen Park, Gothenburg

Näset Shoreline, Gothenburg

Näset Shoreline, Gothenburg

Näset Shoreline, Gothenburg

Änggårdsbergen Nature Reserve

Änggårdsbergen Nature Reserve

Linnéstaden, Gothenburg

Änggårdsbergen Nature Reserve

Eklanda, Mölndal

Haga Church, Central Gothenburg

Botanical Gardens, Gothenburg

Trade and Commerce College, Gothenburg

Annedal, Gothenburg

Annedal, Gothenburg








1 comment:

  1. Hade! Happy New Year! Susan sent me the link to you blog, your city looks like a very peaceful place to live. Absolutely beautiful! I just spent the last hour or so looking at some of your older posts. I'd forgotten what a talented photographer you are!
    I hope you and your family are well!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete