Thursday, June 18, 2015

Carnival in Hammarkullen 2015 (...and 2003!)

Every year at the end of May, three days of carnival come to Gothenburg, more precisely to the suburb of Hammarkullen. A seventeen minute ride by streetcar from downtown will take you there. 2015 constituted the fortieth anniversary of the event, originally started by the locals, with many South American immigrants among them. A scaled-down late summer version takes place on a major downtown boulevard and has also become a tradition by now, after a period where city officials had their problems with providing acceptable conditions for this highly popular festival.



"Vintage" Hammarkullen from 2003: Recently I dug-up an old image show from way back. My camera at the time was a Sony Mavica, recording images on a floppy disc with a resolution of 1600 by 1200 pixels. For a while I wondered: Did I not have a camera with a higher image quality in 2003? I checked and found out that I did. But the enormous zoom range of the Mavica and the amazing steady-shot function made it very useful in the field.
Show is converted to 16:9 format now, something that strains the all too few pixels... From the 2003 event itself I remember that I really pushed myself, trying to capture as many aspects of the event as I could take in. The work with this long show (335 images) and the synching to suitable sound material took quite a bit of time back then - and even now in the adaptation to the wide screen format.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment