Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Farewell, Javiera...


Early February 2018 the sad news reached me that one of my most memorable students, Javiera Ubal Muñoz had passed away at age forty.
In the mid 90s Javiera was part of a mixed group of Drama and Dance students required to take an Esthetic Orientation course. Digital Design was the part of the course I was in charge of. This was an exciting new area at the time. And it was year one for me in a Swedish Senior Secondary school, after a long absence from the teaching profession.
I remember how amazed - and at times even awestruck - I was by the vivacious onslaught of talent facing me in the classroom. These dancing, singing, acting juveniles met me with a kind of mature benevolence that was almost unbelievable

At first Javiera stood out by ...poor attendance! We had a serious talk. And it became clear to me that her entry into the professional music world lay behind her "problem". Now, as exciting as this info was, it was not an acceptable excuse. But: the situation improved from then on. The practical part of my course could be directed to project work the students might have use for in furthering their career. Javiera - like some others - worked with posters, promotional imagery, illustrated CVs, leaflets and such. And our talks about music continued, including her musical activities in the school. At that time I hadn't yet heard about the tradition of my new school to conduct three "schoolshows" per year, where students would be on stage with song, dance and sketches. Javiera literally leaned on me, I must come to the next show, naturally with her taking part in it.
When teaching in Canada earlier, I had been keenly interested in similar types of student performances. Photography was one of my subjects there, I saw these events as interesting photo opportunities, for my students and myself.
Javiera & her Dance class, Schoolshow 1996

But not even that had prepared me for this Swedish schoolshow experience now unfolding before my eyes and ears! This was a performance with a truly professional feel! The students were well rehearsed, the program was varied, the sound management was flawless, as was the lighting and the stage smoke. And the student audience was as animated as the performers. Time and again Javiera teamed up on stage with teacher "Kexan" Eriksson for his backup vocals and guitar playing. It became perfectly clear to me then what a talent Javiera really was! Still, it would be wrong to say that she dominated the show. The standard was high, wall to wall.

Javiera & "Kexan" Eriksson, Schoolshow 1996
Then in 1998 the city of Gothenburg was struck by tragedy when 63 young people lost their lives in a blaze, caused by arson. Hundreds were injured, many severely with lifelong crippeling and disfiguring consequences. My school alone lost fifteen students, two of them from my classes. Javiera had graduated earlier, but had been a frequent guest performer in the school and in our area. In these sad days she took the initiative to create a CD to be sold with the proceeds going to support families struck by the catastrophy. Together with Jim Jidhed she recorded a new version of The Rose, made known by e.g. Bette Midler. Teacher/mentor Kexan Eriksson also took part in the project.

Javiera + Jim Jidhed  recording The Rose
As a teacher I was engaged in the difficult but meaningful work to alleviate the shock, pain and sorrow that had befallen our school and the whole city. Everybody who was in some way affected by the tragedy will witness as to how much every little act of compassion meant, sitting in silence with the mourning, practical help, holding a hand, a spontaneous hug, a pasted note expressing feelings. The same holds for Javieras dedication to help with The Rose. The song and its superb rendition released torrents of emotion among the stricken and helpers alike, torrents that needed to come forth, flow along, leading to some relief and building up the enormous feeling of solidarity, never experienced so intensely before or again.
Students in Javiera's former school also produced a video for The Rose, shown repeatedly on a local Cablevision channel.

Javiera's life contained ups and downs, even tragic difficulties and illness. For me Javiera's The Rose will always stand out as a fitting memorial of her superb talent, her solidarity and care for people in distress.

No comments:

Post a Comment